Wedding Venue Advice
What to look for when choosing the right wedding venue
When looking at venues for your wedding day, you need to decide what you want from the venue. Do you want something small and intimate? Do you want something informal? Do you want a grand and lavish setting? Every wedding is different and every couple’s needs and desires vary so much that before you start to look at venues, you need to answer the following questions:
• Do you want a Church Wedding, Registry Office Ceremony or Civil Ceremony at the venue?
• How many guests will be attending your Wedding Breakfast and/or Evening Reception?
• Do you want a small intimate setting or something more spectacular?
• Do you want Evening Entertainment?
• Do you need accommodation at the venue?
Once you have decided what it is you want for the day, you can then start looking at wedding venues. The internet is a great place to start, with vast amounts of information on venues in your area. You can tailor your search to be specific to your needs and once you have found a venue you can ask the following questions;
• Is the venue the right setting for you: traditional, classical, modern?
• If required, is the venue licensed for Civil Ceremonies or Partnerships?
• Is the venue a suitable distance from the church/ register office?
• What are the capacities of the function rooms available?
• Does the venue have specific arrival/ departure times?
• What is the catering offering for the Wedding Breakfast?
• What are the options for Evening Reception?
• What are the catering/ drinks packages available and what are the costs?
• Does the venue offer a corkage facility?
• Are all room hire rates included in the costs?
• Is there a function room for entertainment to take place?
• What time is the bar licensed until?
• Are there any restrictions on what entertainment is allowed at the venue?
• Is there accommodation and is there a package available to guests who are attending the wedding?
• Is there a Bridal Suite and is this included in the package of booking the wedding at the venue?
• Will you have exclusive use of the venue? If not, will there be any other bridal parties at the venue on the date?
• Is there anywhere for photographs to be taken, inside also if bad weather?
• Are there sufficient functions rooms/areas available for your needs; Arrival drinks, Wedding Breakfast, Evening Entertainment, Lounge Area, Bar?
• Does the venue provide anything in their wedding package; menus, name cards, flowers? And if not, does the venue have links with companies who can provide these?
• How much does the venues do in terms of planning your wedding and is there any additional cost incurred in their services?
Hopefully, all the above information will give you a good grounding as to what you need to be asking of your wedding venue. Once you have chosen your wedding venue, they will be able to help with more detailed aspects including menu choices, drinks and timings.
Good luck with your search!
Photo: Jon Day